Skip to main content

400!!

On July 11, 2007, I started this blog.

This is now my 400th post.

There have been a lot of words under the bridge since that day.

There's this post about rape in marriage that got me on local television and a mention in the national news: Yelling in My Head. That's actually my most popular post of all time.

There are many sermons posted with two reader favorites being: My Brother, Thomas and Choose This Day.

The first is actually about the intersection of faith and doubt. The second one rhymes!

There are posts that were read around the world: Is God Visible in You?

And posts that were an out-pouring of grief: Jesus Will Not Be Pimped.

I went through two long period of not posting, once after my son was born and once after my daughter was born. (Surprise.)

Through blogging, I found (and then met) the amazing RevGalBlogPals. I'm now on the board!

Through my writing here, I was published in the Abingdon Creative Preaching Annual 2014 and will be soon in the 2015 edition. I'm working on my submission for 2016!

On occasion, I've felt paralyzed by writer's block. As I have worked to post each day this month, I remember what real work it is to write. I am comforted by the words of my friend Heidi Rodrick-Schnaath: Not every sermon can be a home run. It's best to hit a solid double than to strike out swinging for the fence.

Blogging has to follow that rule (in fact, most of pastoring does). Daily, I'm just trying to get on base with the discipline of commentary, reflection, or inspiration.

If you've been a part of this work so far, thank you for sticking with it. (I see you, Ted, Diana, Martha, Heidi,  Julie, Teri, Gena, Gloria, Emmily…)

If most of our cells regenerate over the course of seven years, then I'm almost a completely different person than I was in July 2007. Most of the time it feels that way. Yet, still… I write.


Holy Parent, You are the Word of Life and Love. I have come this far by faith- by Your faithfulness to me because of Who and What You are. I dare to ask for you to continue to strengthen and inspire me. Allow me to hear your words. Do not let me fall from the Way, the Truth, or the Life. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Religious Holidays in Anchorage

You may have read in the Anchorage Daily News about a new policy regarding certain religious holidays and the scheduling of school activities. If not, a link to the article is here . The new rules do not mean that school will be out on these new holiday inclusions, but that the Anchorage School District will avoid scheduling activities, like sporting events, on these days. The new list includes Passover, Rosh Hashanah , Yom Kippur , Eid al - Fitr and Eid al - Adha . They are added to a list which includes New Year's, Orthodox Christmas and Easter, Good Friday, Easter, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas. The new holidays may be unfamiliar to some: Passover is a Jewish celebration, in the springtime, that commemorates the events in Egypt that led up to the Exodus. The name of the holiday comes specifically from the fact that the angel of death "passed over" the houses of the Israelites during the plague which killed the eldest sons of the Egyptians. Passover is a holiday

Latibule

I like words and I recently discovered Save the Words , a website which allows you to adopt words that have faded from the English lexicon and are endanger of being dropped from the Oxford English Dictionary. When you adopt a word, you agree to use it in conversation and writing in an attempt to re-introduce said word back into regular usage. It is exactly as geeky as it sounds. And I love it. A latibule is a hiding place. Use it in a sentence, please. After my son goes to bed, I pull out the good chocolate from my latibule and have a "mommy moment". The perfect latibule was just behind the northwest corner of the barn, where one had a clear view during "Kick the Can". She tucked the movie stub into an old chocolate box, her latibule for sentimental souvenirs. I like the sound of latibule, though I think I would spend more time defining it and defending myself than actually using it. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure how often I use the

A Litany for Mother's Day

A: Loving God, You are everywhere the Lord and Giver of life. We praise You for the gift of mothers through whom You give us life. C: We thank You for their willingness to nurture life, for their trust in You to guide them through the labor of childbirth, the uncertainties of youth, the letting go of young adulthood. A: We thank You for all those women, who did not give us birth, but through whom You give us abundant life: C: We thank You for school teachers, aunts, grandmothers, sisters, pastors, elders, Sunday School teachers, supervisors, co-workers, neighbors and friends who share wisdom. A: We ask Your tender mercies on all those whose mothers now sing with the heavenly chorus, especially for those whose tears are not yet dry. C: Grant them Your peace, which passes all our understanding. A: We ask Your comforting presence on those mothers who have buried sons and daughters. C: Comfort them with the knowledge of their children in Your eternal care. A: We pray for those w