Skip to main content

Friday Five- Time Out Edition

The Friday Five prompts come from here.

Holy Week is almost upon us, I suspect that ordained or not, other revgal/pals calendars look a bit like mine, FULL, FULL, FULL........

Jesus was great at teaching us to take time out, even in that last week, right up to Maundy Thursday he withdrew, John's gospel tells us he hid! He hid not because he was afraid, but because he knew that he needed physical, mental and spiritual strength to get through...

So faced with a busy week:


1. What restores you physically?

I do love a nap. It's not just the pregnancy talking. In college, I got very good at the twenty-minute power snooze. I don't even have to have a bed or a couch. I can lay flat on the floor in a slightly darkened room and be asleep. 10 years later, I hardly ever need an alarm clock for that kind of nap. I wake myself up almost 18 minutes from when I fell asleep. I usually set a little buzzer, just in case, but I typically wake up in time to turn it off, get up, brush my hair and teeth, put my earrings back in and go back to work. Ta-da!

I have also come to love swimming in the past few weeks. After my few short laps, I stretch in the shallow end of the pool. The weightlessness gives me a little recharge. After I wash the chlorine off, I feel ready to take on the world, but I usually go home and make dinner.

2. What strengthens you emotionally/ mentally?

A good solid devotional time, complete with devotional reading, journaling and deep prayer, makes me feel refreshed and recharged in a way nothing else can. That may sound like one of those things a pastor is "supposed" to say, but it's true. Like anything else that's good for you, though, it takes time to do that. As essential as that practice is, I don't do it as often as I should (daily). I do parts of it, but the complete routine offers the most consolation and connection from and with the Holy Spirit.

3. What encourages you spiritually?

Reading the works of other spiritual thinkers- from the Gospel writers to contemporary writers. There is something deep and stirring about the feel of words in my mind, rolling around, provoking other thoughts, stirring up faithfulness and spiritual comraderie- even for someone long since gone to their eternal reward.

4. Share a favourite poem or piece of music from the coming week.

These aren't quite the words in my hymnal, but this is one of my favorite hymns. This text is taken from here. The hymn tune can be heard in the same place, not a very resounding version- nevertheless...

Now let the vault of Heav’n resound
In praise of love that doth abound,
“Christ hath triumphed, alleluia!”
Sing, choirs of angels, loud and clear,
Repeat their song of glory here,
“Christ hath triumphed, Christ hath triumphed!”
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

Eternal is the gift He brings,
Wherefore our heart with rapture sings,
“Christ hath triumphed, Jesus liveth!”
Now doth He come and give us life,
Now doth His presence still all strife
Through His triumph; Jesus reigneth!
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

O fill us, Lord, with dauntless love;
Set heart and will on things above
That we conquer through Thy triumph,
Grant grace sufficient for life’s day
That by our life we ever say,
“Christ hath triumphed, and He liveth!”
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

Adoring praises now we bring
And with the heavenly blessèd sing,
“Christ hath triumphed, Alleluia!”
Be to the Father, and our Lord,
To Spirit blest, most holy God,
Thine the glory, never ending!
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!


5.There may be many services for you to attend/ lead over the next week, which one are you most looking forward to and why? If there aren't do you have a favorite day in Holy week if so which one is it?

It is difficult to say which Holy Week service is my favorite. The moving nature of all the services and the anticipation of Easter Sunday makes them all special. However, if I had to choose one- it would probably be Maundy Thursday. Maundy comes from earlier Latin and Old English phrases for "mandate", which in context comes from "commandment"- as in, "This is my commandment..."

The institution of the Lord's Supper and the washing of the feet aren't my favorite parts because they are still meaningful in the church today or because they reflect our life together. To me, Maundy Thursday is a clear representation (and set-up for Easter Sunday) regarding the physical nature of our salvation. Here we see that what God will do through Jesus the Christ isn't merely for souls- some nebulous part of our existence, but for our whole being- body, mind and spirit. In as much as we love God with all these parts, so to God loves all these parts and loved them first (!!)- enough to save them.

The physical elements of Maundy Thursday- the nourishment and cleansing that are instituted by Christ and commanded or encouraged of us- stir up in me gratitude for the God who made, preserves, loves and saves my whole being. The Three Days point to that in a variety of ways and it is these three days that not only save us from ourselves, but save us from the rest of the church year that can easily turn dualistic (body versus soul).

Comments

Mary Beth said…
Great play. I envy you that nappability!
Sally said…
Me too, if I drift off I can be gone for an hour or more!

Popular posts from this blog

Religious Holidays in Anchorage

You may have read in the Anchorage Daily News about a new policy regarding certain religious holidays and the scheduling of school activities. If not, a link to the article is here . The new rules do not mean that school will be out on these new holiday inclusions, but that the Anchorage School District will avoid scheduling activities, like sporting events, on these days. The new list includes Passover, Rosh Hashanah , Yom Kippur , Eid al - Fitr and Eid al - Adha . They are added to a list which includes New Year's, Orthodox Christmas and Easter, Good Friday, Easter, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas. The new holidays may be unfamiliar to some: Passover is a Jewish celebration, in the springtime, that commemorates the events in Egypt that led up to the Exodus. The name of the holiday comes specifically from the fact that the angel of death "passed over" the houses of the Israelites during the plague which killed the eldest sons of the Egyptians. Passover is a holiday

Latibule

I like words and I recently discovered Save the Words , a website which allows you to adopt words that have faded from the English lexicon and are endanger of being dropped from the Oxford English Dictionary. When you adopt a word, you agree to use it in conversation and writing in an attempt to re-introduce said word back into regular usage. It is exactly as geeky as it sounds. And I love it. A latibule is a hiding place. Use it in a sentence, please. After my son goes to bed, I pull out the good chocolate from my latibule and have a "mommy moment". The perfect latibule was just behind the northwest corner of the barn, where one had a clear view during "Kick the Can". She tucked the movie stub into an old chocolate box, her latibule for sentimental souvenirs. I like the sound of latibule, though I think I would spend more time defining it and defending myself than actually using it. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure how often I use the

A Litany for Mother's Day

A: Loving God, You are everywhere the Lord and Giver of life. We praise You for the gift of mothers through whom You give us life. C: We thank You for their willingness to nurture life, for their trust in You to guide them through the labor of childbirth, the uncertainties of youth, the letting go of young adulthood. A: We thank You for all those women, who did not give us birth, but through whom You give us abundant life: C: We thank You for school teachers, aunts, grandmothers, sisters, pastors, elders, Sunday School teachers, supervisors, co-workers, neighbors and friends who share wisdom. A: We ask Your tender mercies on all those whose mothers now sing with the heavenly chorus, especially for those whose tears are not yet dry. C: Grant them Your peace, which passes all our understanding. A: We ask Your comforting presence on those mothers who have buried sons and daughters. C: Comfort them with the knowledge of their children in Your eternal care. A: We pray for those w